Thursday, October 01, 2015

Do Not Stop Or Turn Back

On the way to spend our second week in Germany at another bed and breakfast in Fuessen, we stopped in Ulm, at the suggestion of our son Daniel, to climb the tallest church steeple in the world


Ulm is the birthplace of Albert Einstein and the name of this Lutheran church with a 530 feet high steeple is Ulm Minster.


Ulm Minster was built in the Gothic era and was formerly a Roman Catholic church. However, the church was not completed until the late 19th century.


During World War II, much of Ulm was destroyed by bombs, but amazingly this church remained untouched.

 
As we climbed this tall steeple to the top, the view of Ulm was spectacular!
 
 
I have to confess, I am afraid of heights, but despite my fear, I was the first to reach the top, passing by many people who stopped half-way, refusing to go any further.
 
 
My determination to finish what I started overpowered my fear, and my speed was driven with my desire to get it over with.
 

 
When we reached the top, Brian, our son Daniel and I climbed 768 steps of spiralling stairs.
 

 
Then we climbed back down 768 steps of spiralling stairs. When I finished, I almost lost my balance from being so dizzy. I guess I was too eager to reach ground level again that I went too fast.
 
Climbing the tallest steeple in the world is like my walk with God. Sometimes I may face fear, but my determination to follow Him and stay on the path to the top is greater.
 
"Our hearts had not turned back;
our feet had not strayed from Your path."
Psalm 44:18 (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment