Thursday, January 26, 2012

God, Give Me Your Heart To Feel And Eyes To See

Get "me" out of my mind!


After prayer and much consideration, my sons and I have picked four of the songs that we as a family will use to lead children in worship for the Spring Retreat.

The first song is "Outta My Mind" by Anthem Lights. Here are the lyrics:

Feelin' like I got a front row seat to watch everybody be happy
Can't even paint a smile on my face, it's so hard to not complain
O God, what about me
'Cause I know that's not the way that I'm supposed to be

Get me outta my mind and into Your heart
It's not about me, it's not about me
So I'm gonna start playin' my part in Your design
Now is the time
Get me outta my mind
Outta my mind

There's a bigger picture on display and it's starting to come in focus
Causing me to see the ones in need outside my little world
Gotta try, just to say
O God, what can I do
Doesn't matter what it takes, I wanna lead them all to You

Get me outta my mind and into Your heart
It's not about me, it's not about me
So I'm gonna start playin' my part in Your design
Now is the time
Get me outta my mind
Outta my mind

If anybody asks me what have I been up to
This is what I'm gonna say
I've been spending my time, outta my mind
And I'm really lovin' livin' this way

We chose this song because we want to teach the children through the lyrics how the Christian life is not always about us and how we feel. There's a much bigger picture! It's also about all those around us who do not know Jesus as personal Lord and Saviour, and will not know unless we show them the love of God.

We need to get "me" out of our minds and put in its place those around us who are crying out for answers, who are slowly dying and are not prepared to meet God face to face.

I know sometimes it can be a struggle, but when we ask God to feel what He feels, the struggle goes away, and we begin to feel an overpowering love for others as God opens our eyes to see the needs of those around us. It becomes no longer about us, but about those who need Jesus.

"And I will give you a new heart,
and I will put a new spirit in you.
I will take out your stony, stubborn heart
and give you a tender, responsive heart."
Ezekiel 36:26 (NLT)

If we ask God, He will give us a new heart and a new spirit that will be full of compassion for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment