Saturday, January 21, 2012

Never Be Too Timid To Ask God

My husband, Brian, has never called me by any of the common terms of endearment, such as "sweetheart," "love," or "dear." Instead, he privately calls me by a nickname that he has used since we were first married: He calls me "Tigger."

I've never liked this nickname, although I've never told him that. In our first year of marriage, he bought me a stuffed tiger and said it reminded him of me. I was slightly offended, but I never said anything because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. Anyways, aren't husbands supposed to buy their wives stuffed teddy bears, puppies, or kittens? Why a wild cat?

I kept the tiger, but ended up giving it away a few years later to one of our sons to play with. Eventually the tiger was thrown out when it became worn and tattered-looking. My husband wasn't too pleased, so he went and bought me another stuffed tiger. I still have this one. I didn't want him to keep wasting his money buying me stuffed tigers all the time.


Finally, a few days ago, I confronted Brian and asked, "Why do I remind you of a tiger?"

I will be honest and say I was on the defensive, ready to pounce on him.

(Uh . . . did I just say "pounce?" I meant to say "defend myself.")

Anyways, Brian's explanation was that I reminded him of "Tigger" in Winnie-the-Pooh because Tigger was his favourite character as a child going up. He told me he loved Tigger because Tigger was spirited and full of bounce or life. He just naturally assumed I'd know what he was talking about. But I didn't know because, for one reason, Tigger is a male, not a female; and two, all the stuffed animals he gave me were of other tigers, not Tigger from Winnie-the-Pooh.

Anyways, I am glad that, after twenty-nine years of marriage, I finally asked my husband why I remind him of a tiger. Now when he calls me "Tigger", I'll think it's sweet, not offending. And when I gaze upon my stuffed tiger, I'll be reminded of his thoughts for me.

It's funny how men commonly don't explain themselves, and how women often mistake the meaning of what they say. I guess women need to not be apprehensive in asking their husbands.

The Bible encourages God's children to never be afraid to approach Him and ask.

Here are some of my favourite verses in the Bible about asking God:

"Ask and it will be given to you."
Matthew 7:7 (NIV)

"If you believe, you will receive everything you ask for in prayer."
Matthew 21:22 (NIV)

"You may ask for anything in my Name, and I will do it,
that the Father may be glorified in the Son."
John 14:14 (NIV)

"If you remain in me and my words remain in you,
ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you."
John 15:7 (NIV)

"Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete."
John 16:24 (NIV)

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God,
who gives generously to all without finding fault,
and it will be given to him."
James 1:5 (NIV)

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God:
that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
And if we know that He hears us — whatever we ask —
we know that we have what we asked of Him."
1 John 5:14-15 (NIV)

It's such a comfort and a security for a child of God to be able to approach the King at any time, any place, and ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment