Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Like A Dove

When Brian and I went on our first walk the evening we arrived in Sanibel Island, we heard the constant sound of birds hooting, so we initially thought they were owls. However, we couldn't see any around. Finally I spotted the culprit when I saw the bird's chest moving. It was a Mourning or Turtle Dove! The hooting sounds were actually cooing sounds.

Here is a picture of one I saw sitting on a telephone wire during sunset.


It was obviously mating season because everywhere we went on the island from morning to night, we heard the sounds of the males calling out to the female doves. The mating call is soft and soothing. I miss these sounds, especially at night before I fall asleep and in the early morning when I awake.

It is not surprising that the Holy Spirit is depicted in Scriptures to be like dove.

"Then John testified,
'I saw the Holy Spirit descending 
like a dove from heaven
and resting upon Him.'"
John 1:32 (NLT)

The Holy Spirit is our Comforter and it is wonderful to know He abides with us forever!

"And I will pray the Father,
and He will give you another Comforter,
that He may abide with you for ever."
John 14:26 (KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment