Thursday, June 11, 2015

Gold, As Pure As Transparent Glass

On one of the days Brian and I spent in New Mexico, we decided to take a day off from exploring and relax at the Ojo Caliente Mineral Hot Springs to enjoy the therapeutic use of four different sulfur-free mineral waters: Lithia, Iron, Soda and Arsenic.
 
 
I'm not sure what I expected, but I got bored really quick at the Hot Springs. I tried out all the different mineral waters for about ten minutes each. Then turned to my husband and eagerly asked if he wanted to go hiking on the trails located behind the resort. He wasn't surprised at my restlessness at trying to relax doing nothing, (He knows me by now.) and readily agreed. He wanted to see a mine in the area.
 

My boredom soon disappeared once we got out onto the trail. I saw cacti in bloom and a unique-coloured lizard sun-bathing on a rock.


The lizard is called a New Mexico Collared Lizard.

 
After Brian and I hiked for about two miles in the high desert, to my surprise the terrain began to glitter like a wonderland of sparkling crystals.

 
This is when I asked my husband, "What mine is it that we are going to?"

He answered, "The Ojo Caliente Mica Mines."


Silvery mica flakes of all sizes lay littered on the ground, gloriously leading the way to the mines.


When we finally reached them, there were three caves cut into the pink granite cliff.


These mines were used in the early 1900's to the 1940's.


The caves were intriguing, but what really allured me was the shimmering beauty that laid around them. And just think, if I thought the mineral mica was pretty, I wonder what the streets of heaven will look like. The Bible says they are made of gold, pure as transparent glass. I can't wait to one day see them.

"The great street of the city
was of gold,
as pure as transparent glass."
Revelations 21:21b (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment