Saturday, August 04, 2012

A Poor Apology Is Worse Than No Apology

A poor apology is worse than no apology because the recipient will be further insulted, only adding salt to their open wound.


Here are a few real-life examples of poor apologies:
  • "If you misunderstood me, then I apologize." This apology admits no wrong-doing by the wrong-doer. He/she places the blame directly on the person who was too stupid to understand him/her.
  • "I am sorry to hear that you quit." This apology again admits no wrong-doing by the wrong-doer. He/she is only sorry for the other person's actions, not feelings.
A heart-felt humble apology admits to wrong-doing, shows remorse for the wrong-doers actions, and sincerely asks for suggestions how to mend the broken relationship.

Here is an example of a good apology. (It really isn't all that hard, and yet very few people do it right.) "I am sorry for the wrong I have done and for the hurt I have caused you. Please forgive me and tell me what I need to do to make amends."

The Bible says that it is God's will for us to reconcile with any brother or sister who has something against us. Therefore it is important to know how to apologize if reconciliation is to occur.

"Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar
and there remember that your brother or sister
has something against you,
leave your gift there in front of the altar.
First go and be reconciled to them;
then come and offer your gift."
Matthew 5:23-24 (NIV)

If there is a need to apologize to someone, make sure you do it right to allow a positive outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment