Thursday, August 30, 2012

What The World Might Say, God Says Differently


Costco is my favourite grocery store. With three young men to feed, it is the most economical store from which to purchase large quantities of various foods. I usually go there once a week.

Three years ago, when we first moved here, I couldn't help but notice one of the cashiers at Costco. He was a flamboyant homosexual. His medium-length hair was dyed bright pink and stuck straight up. He wore pink glasses, earrings in both ears, and a pink scarf around his neck. He also imitated the talk and actions of homosexual male hairdressers or fashion designers who are portrayed in the media.

As soon as I saw this man, I felt compassion. I wondered how many people mocked or harassed him because of his open sin, while at the same time hiding their own sins. If this man was working at the times I went to Costco, I would always go to his till and be extra friendly to him. Then I would take the meeting as a reminder to silently pray for him to know Jesus as his Lord and Saviour. There was an arrogance about him that indicated deep insecurities.

Then about a year ago, as I was doing my weekly shopping at Costco, I noticed that this man looked totally different. His hair was cut short in a typical men's hair style, he wore normal men's clothes — no earrings or pink scarf — and he had a new pair of glasses. I was baffled as to the change, but the answer soon came when I saw his black shirt with the words displayed: "I am evidence that God can change a life." I had to quickly pull out of the lineup to regain my composure, as tears welled up in my eyes. What a testimony for God!

At Costco yesterday, I once again saw this Christ-like man. He talked to me about his great concerns for the people in New Orleans. Everyone else there seemed to be unmindful to these people's plight, but he wasn't. He cared. As I sensed his compassion for others, I again had to fight back tears. There was no arrogance in this man any longer. The world might say that some people can never change, but God says differently. The Bible says that the God who made light shine out of complete darkness can do the same in people's hearts.

"For God, who said,
'Let light shine out of darkness,'
made His light shine in our hearts
to give us the light of the knowledge of
the glory of God in the face of Christ."
2 Corinthians 4:6 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment