Saturday, March 23, 2013

Direct My Footsteps Through Your Word


On Thursday this week, my sons Tim and Matthew took me on a tour of the University of Alberta. Before we left, I told them I didn't want to take any elevators or escalators: I have been diligently doing an hour of aerobic exercises every day for about a year now, and I felt confident and strong.

By the end of the morning, we had climbed about 500 steps. Tim's office was on the sixth floor of one building, Chris' office was in an eight floor building, and Matthew's classes were all over the place. Also, most of the LRT stations were several stories underground.

I was able to keep up with my sons. Near the end of the tour, I felt great with a slightly raised ego. Then I suddenly twisted my ankle on what was supposedly a flat surface of floor but what was really a ridge that separated two sections of flooring with one side slightly raised over the other. Part of my left foot landed on the upper side while the rest landed on the lower side, thus twisting my left ankle and lowering my slightly raised ego.

Oh well, a lesson well-learned, because the Christian walk can be like that as well. We can sometimes become too confident in ourselves that we forget how vitally important it is to stay in God's Word. However, if we allow God to daily direct our footsteps through His Word, no sin can rule over us or cause us to stumble and fall.

"Direct my footsteps
according to your Word;
let no sin rule over me."
Psalm 119:133 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment