Saturday, November 16, 2013

I Felt His Pain For Him


Yesterday, I took my son Chris into the city of Edmonton to have Lasik eye surgery to correct his nearsightedness so he can apply to enter the Edmonton City Fire Department. As I was sitting with Chris in the waiting room, the nurse called his name to come into her office to review with him again the preoperative care of his eyes and give him four prescriptions. When Chris came out, he was laughing. I thought, "Wow, he certainly isn't nervous!" The others who were in the waiting room sure were. One young man asked when he could have his tranquilizer and a middle-aged woman ate all the arrowroot cookies on the table.

When I looked at Chris with puzzlement as to what was so funny, he said, "The nurse thought you were my wife."

I thought, "Oh, OK, should I leave then?"

Looking to Chris for the answer, he said enthusiastically, "You get to watch the whole procedure on a computer screen next to the operating room."

"Alright!" I said excitedly. "This should be interesting!" However, the excitement soon wore off, as I felt every discomfort and pain my son wasn't feeling when I saw his eyes poked, prodded, and cut. When the surgery was over, Chris came into the room smiling. I got up and felt faint. Then I realized this is the same way God feels when He sees His children suffering. Jesus shared the pain of others. He even wept when his childhood friend Lazarus died.

"Jesus wept."
John 11:35 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment