Friday, May 27, 2011

Our Best Friend

My dog is a Shetland Sheep dog, named Barney. Yes, it's a male. You would think that after having four sons, I would get a female; but I couldn't resist when I first saw a picture of him.

My husband, Brian, bought me this dog for our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary. Some women ask for diamonds, a cruise, or a new car. I asked for a dog. He is one of the sweetest creatures God has ever created.

Barney as a puppy:


Dogs remind me of the character of God. Their love is unconditional. Their devotion is unwavering. Barney will lay down by the front door if ever I go out anywhere and wait for me to come back even if another member of the family is at home. He loves me that much! And I love him too!

God is just like this. He loves us always and eagerly waits to hear from us in prayer. Just as Barney waits for me to come home, God waits for us to talk to him. Barney is a daily reminder just how much God longs for us to pour out our hearts to him and reveal our innermost thoughts. God, our Father, desires a close personal relationship with all His children.

Barney at 6 months old:


Just like Barney is always beside me when I am at home, so is God right there beside you.

Barney today at 4 years old:


Many people say, "a man's best friend is his dog". This is not true. A dog can be a dear friend to us, but God is our very best friend.

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is
a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 18:24

My dog loves me, but God loves us so much more!

No comments:

Post a Comment