Friday, July 27, 2012

Call On God In Truth

Cattails are plants that grow along the edges of ponds and lakes. You see them everywhere in Alberta, and many places in BC have them too. When I was a young girl, I thought they looked more like the cigars my grandfather smoked than the tails of cats. Despite such observations, which I have kept to myself until now, I've always enjoyed picking a bundle of them at the end of each summer for my fall decorations. Unfortunately, no matter what I spray them with, they always eventually burst open, leaving white fluff everywhere. Nevertheless, I continue picking them each year, despite the annoyance to my household.


We are sometimes like cattails. On the outside, we look as if we have it together. We go to Church, we dress attractively, we are physically healthy and fit, we have smiles on our face, we talk pleasantly, and we never complain. But on the inside, we're a completely different story. On the inside, we have buried hurts, disappointments, jealousies, resentments, and unforgivenesses, and our insides can't take it any longer. We suddenly shock everyone by bursting open with anger, violence, abuse, rash decisions, and immoral behaviour.

It is of the utmost importance that, as Christians, we take time each day to talk to our Heavenly Father and be honest with Him when we have negative feelings. God will not respond in anger. Instead, He will gently caress us with His love and His Word, allowing our negative feelings to dissipate and our hurts to heal.

"The Lord is near to all who call on Him,
to all who call on Him in truth."
Psalm 145:18 (NIV)

Don't pretend with God, even when you are afraid to be honest with Him. The Bible says that He is near to all those who call on Him in truth. When you are honest with God, He will be honest with you about His love and His care, giving you the strength and wisdom to deal with all your struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment