Sunday, July 08, 2012

My Cat Reaped What He Ate

One month ago, my cat Osha was very close to death. Several months ago, I caught him eating pink fibreglass insulation. Apparently he also ate twelve inches of string and who knows what else. As a result, he vomited continually for weeks and eventually stopped eating all together. He lost a lot of weight and started to become bony.

I decided, "Enough of this! I'm not going to watch my cat die." So every few hours I fed the cat coconut milk from a baby bottle. After several days, the junk Osha ate finally passed through his digestive system. At last he could start to recover! For the next two weeks, I hand-fed him moist cat food (or, more accurately, one might say I shoved it down his throat) until he gained some of his strength back.

I am pleased to report Osha is now doing well, although he is not yet back to playing with his toys, and I sometimes still have to encourage him to eat. Here is a picture of Osha I took just a few minutes ago. He is lying on top of my son Chris, who, in turn, is lounging on the couch.


Osha ate non-food items and almost died. He reaped what he sowed. If Osha would eat only foods that are healthy for cats to eat, he would live the wonderful life of an adopted pet — fully loved and cared for. We are the same. We reap what we sow. If we live life to please our sinful nature and feed on worldly things, we will surely die. But if we live life to please the Spirit of God and feed on His Word, we will live eternally as adopted children of the King — loved and cared for forever.

"Do not be deceived:
God cannot be mocked.
A man reaps what he sows.
Whoever sows to please their flesh,
from the flesh will reap destruction;
whoever sows to please the Spirit,
from the Spirit will reap eternal life."
Galatians 6:7-8 (NLT)

Feed on God's Word daily. It restores life, heals wounded hearts, and gives strength, vitality, and joy in the midst of trials. Just as Osha was brought back to health and vitality by eating healthy foods again, we too, whenever we find ourselves weak and ill, need to be brought back to spiritual well-being and exuberance by nourishing on God's Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment