Friday, November 02, 2012

He Takes Hold Of Your Right Hand And Says "Fear Not! I Will Help You"


The most frightful experience I can ever remember occurred one afternoon when my youngest son was just a baby. I had just finished scrubbing the kitchen floor, my youngest son was sleeping in his crib, my second youngest son was having his afternoon nap, my two oldest sons were at school, and my husband was at work. All of a sudden, a male intruder entered my house.

This man had come from the dark, heavily treed forest on the other side of the street where I lived in Campbell River, BC. My next door neighbour, a Christian, was outside at the time, working on the house he was building for his wife and two children. He noticed the strange man right away and instantly had a bad feeling. So when the stranger walked past him, he asked, "Who are you?"

The strange man, offended by the invasive question, became outraged. He punched my neighbour in the face with such brutal force that he knocked him flat to the ground! Shocked and greatly concerned, my neighbour kept his eyes fixed on the stranger and watched with horror as he continued along the sidewalk, walked up my driveway into my carport, and entered an unlocked door. This door led to my utility room, from which another door led to my family room.

When the stranger entered this second door, I was standing there, waiting impatiently for the kitchen floor to dry. When I saw him and looked into his eyes, I viewed a man void of all goodness and feeling. I knew instantly what his intentions were. Being terror-strikened at the danger and violence I was facing, I froze! Both my mind and body became paralyzed. I didn't run, grab a weapon, or even pray. I just stood there, my eyes fixed on his with the greatest amount of fear imaginable — not so much for my own safety, but for the safety of my babies. Who would take care of them if he killed me? Would he hurt them too?

Suddenly, my courageous neighbour barged through the door, breathing heavily out of fear himself. But his fear didn't stop him. He looked at me. My eyes quickly diverted to him, begging for his help and protection. He caught his breath, and with the authority of Christ in him, ordered the intruder to leave, telling him that he had just called the police, and that they were on their way. Without a fight, the intruder abruptly turned and ran out of my house. The police later spotted him in a neighbourhood park, matching the description my neighbour gave of him, and they arrested him.

My neighbour told me later that he, too, was terrified at the situation he faced. I thanked him, and I thanked God for a man who believed in God's Word, overcame his fear to protect a neighbour and her little children, and had the courage to face a demonized man bearing the most evil of intentions.

"For I am the Lord, your God,
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you."
Isaiah 41:13 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment