Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Pray About Everything And Thank Him For All He Has Done

Two and a half weeks ago, my dentist installed mock crowns on my front teeth. I was to wear these temporarily until my next appointment, scheduled for December 5th, during which they would be replaced with permanent porcelain ones. Unfortunately, the installation didn't go quite as planned. . . .

For fifteen years, I have needed my front teeth capped because of eroding enamel. However, my husband's past dental plans have always refused to cover any of the cost of frontal crowns. But when, just over a year ago, my husband changed jobs, I was ecstatic to learn, as God already knew, that it came with an awesome dental plan which covers seventy percent of crowns. My dentist sent a recommendation to my dental insurance company for the needed crowns, and they soon accepted.

Two and a half weeks ago, I excitedly arrived at the dental office. Despite the anticipated discomfort, I was thrilled to be there, especially when my dentist gave me a mirror to show me, before he glued them in, what the temporary crowns looked like on my teeth.


Five hours later, after being pricked, poked, soaked, drilled, gagged, and bruised, I was completely unaware — owing to a combined dreamlike and nightmarish state of mind — that my mock crowns had cracked, that my dentist had quickly made new ones out of a stronger material, that this new material was somewhat foreign to him, and that something had gone wrong. But I began to suspect something wasn't right when my dentist finished his work and promptly left not only the office, but the building too, without even saying, "Good-bye!" or, "I'll see you later!"

His dental assistant was the only one left to explain the situation. Sheepishly, she handed me the mirror. I was so horrified, the only words that came out of my mouth were, "Oh gross."

My mock crowns were pinky-orange.

Feeling a little guilty at my vanity and trying to make light of an awkward situation, I joked, "I should have gotten these teeth before Halloween."

I left the dental office sick to my stomach, knowing that I had to wear these embarrassing teeth for a whole month, and feeling guilty that I felt that way.

For the next two weeks, nothing could be done because my dentist was on holidays. Yesterday was his first day back at work. (I knew he had returned safely because I saw him in church on Sunday.) So, when I said my prayers to God, I tacked on one final request, "Please forgive me God if this prayer request is a sin, but could there be a cancelation today so that I can have my crowns put in right away instead of waiting until December 5th? I am tired of trying to inconspicuously put my hand to my mouth every time I am about to smile or laugh."

After I said this prayer, I got up, ran downstairs, and told my sons to answer the phone if the call display has my dentist's name on it. A few hours later, I did get a call from the receptionist, and now I have beautiful teeth! During the last-minute appointment, my dentist profusely apologized to me about the blunder, and he even worked overtime to finish installing my permanent porcelain crowns. By the end of the day, both he and I had great smiles of our faces.

Before leaving, I turned to my dentist and his assistant and sweetly said, "Thank you!" I also thanked God all the way home and many times throughout the night. I guess God didn't think my request was a sin after all.

"Don't worry about anything;
instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need,
and thank Him for all He has done."
Philippians 4:6 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment