Sunday, November 18, 2012

Is What You Are Doing By The Authority Of Jesus Christ?


Today, one can see, in a single city, many churches. Most are tied to a particular denomination. Some are independent. Sadly, many of these churches are half-empty during the one service they hold each week. And yet more are being built. Is this really because of need, or is it because of pride and division?

Over the years, I have witnessed four church splits. Each occurred on a Sunday morning when a pastor gave his resignation speech and used the pulpit as an opportunity to manipulate the people, gaining support for himself while simultaneously dividing the church. The first of these occurred when I was just a young girl, and the church split left me very confused and greatly saddened. The remaining three occurred when I was grown, and, in each case, I was shocked when it happened — I was totally unaware there was that much internal strife. (I guess I was too busy focusing on the children and their families to notice.) Also, twice more, when my family and I moved to a different city, we attended a church in the aftermath of a split.

I can tell you from experience that church splits are devastating. They leave long-lasting effects and cause many to turn away from the faith. They stunt the spiritual growth of Christians and prevent others from coming to Jesus.

Church splits are not God's will. Christians are commanded by God to work hard at living in harmony with each other so that there are no divisions in the church. We are to be of one mind, united in thought and purpose. And our purpose is this: to honour God in everything we say and do, and to care more about the spiritual growth of others than the satisfaction of our own prideful, selfish desires.

"I appeal to you,
dear brothers and sisters,
by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ,
to live in harmony with each other.
Let there be no divisions in the church.
Rather, be of one mind,
united in thought and purpose."
1 Corinthians 1:10 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment