Saturday, November 03, 2012

The Simplicity Of Christmas





This year I have put my Christmas village on display early so that it will remind me of what the small town of Leavenworth, Washington will look like when Brian and I drive there this Christmas. Our holiday plans are as follows. Brian and I, and our four sons, will drive to BC to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with Brian's parents. (We hope his brother's and sister's families we will be there too, since we haven't seen them in many years.) Then on Boxing Day, Brian and I will continue driving on to Leavenworth, where we will spend the remainder of the holidays. Meanwhile, our sons will stay in BC, where they plan to enjoy various outdoor activities, such as skiing, which are not really possible here in the prairies.

This year I hope to enjoy the simplicity of an old-fashioned Christmas, like the one depicted in my Christmas village. I believe the less complicated Christmas is, the more Christ-filled it is. After all, Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, an event which itself, though miraculous, was simple, free from the exuberant wealth of mankind, the bustling commotion of throngs of people shoving and pushing to see Him, and the sensationalism of public media. Although the birth of Jesus Christ is life-changing, it has a sincere and simplistic message: God loves us so much that He sent His one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through Him.

"God showed how much He loved us
by sending His one and only Son
into the world
so that we might have eternal life
through Him."
1 John 4:9 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment