Friday, April 06, 2012

The Death Of Jesus Offers Us Forgiveness And Healing


Each summer when I was a young girl, I attended a week-long Vacation Bible School during the mornings as my family and I holidayed at our lakefront property. To encourage me and the other children to learn the Bible, any child who memorized twenty-five verses by the end of the week was promised a prize: a beautiful, framed poster of the verse below.

"But He was pierced for our transgressions,
He was crushed for our iniquities;
the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him,
and by His wounds we are healed."
Isaiah 53:5 (NIV)

I thought twenty-five verses was a lot to learn, but I was determined to win the prize. At the end of the week, I was thrilled to find myself among the few children who accomplished the task and won the framed verse. When I got home, I immediately placed the picture right above the side of my bed to remind me daily of the miracle God did for me by healing me of Perthes disease several years earlier.

Today is Good Friday, a reminder of this verse. Think of this: if Jesus had not died on the Cross, not only could our sins not be forgiven, but our diseases, physical ailments, and disabilities could not be healed by God. That means that I would still be in a wheel chair with Perthes disease. I probably would not be married. I certainly wouldn't have been able to have my own children and experience the immeasurable joy of having four sons.

The death of Jesus accomplished so much! God can forgive people's sins and heal their diseases when they open up their hearts and minds to Him with love for Him and trust in His Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment