Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Searching Ends With Jesus

My son, Chris, came up to me a few days ago and asked if I could teach him to make home-made buns to bring to his work's luncheon on Friday in celebration of two employee's birthdays. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself when he asked me because baking bread is time consuming, and I didn't think my son was willing to take a day off work to do it. So I told him what any mother would say, "I would be glad to make you the buns, and I will teach you to make bread on one of your days off." I think Chris was a bit disappointed though because he wanted to say to his co-workers that he made them himself.

I ended up making two dozen honey whole wheat buns for Chris and three loaves of bread for the family. Don't you just love the smell and taste of home-made bread? No bread-maker in the world can compete!


The Bible says Jesus is the bread of life. He is also an eternal spring of water. If you have Jesus, you will never be hungry or thirsty. In Jesus, you have everything, and you want for nothing.

"Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life.
He who comes to me will never go hungry,
and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.'"
John 6:35 (NIV)

Jesus is the living bread because, when Jesus gave His life for the world, He gave the gift of eternal life to all those who come to Him and believe.

"'I am the living bread that came down from heaven.
If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.
This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.'"
John 6:51 (NIV)

Also, if any of us drinks the water that Jesus gives, we will never thirst, because the water He gives us is like a fountain of cool, bubbling spring water that never ends.

"'But whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. 
Indeed, the water I give him will become in him
 a spring of water welling up to eternal life.'"
John 4:14 (NIV)

Many people in this world constantly try to seek joy and happiness in wealth, material belongings, relationships, careers, and pleasures, but they are never satisfied. They continue to walk through life in the desert starving for food with parched, dry lips. They search endlessly for bread that satisfies their hunger and water that quenches their thirst.

Once people come to Jesus, the searching stops, and life begins with an indescribable and glorious joy that satisfies beyond our greatest expectations.

"Though you have not seen Him,
you love Him;
 and even though you do not see Him now,
you believe in Him
and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy."
1 Peter 1:8 (NIV)

Jesus is indeed the Bread of Life and the Source of Eternal Spring Water!

No comments:

Post a Comment