Thursday, September 06, 2012

A Man Of Lowly Spirit Gains Honour

At the Alberta Aviation Museum, my son Matthew excitedly tapped me on the shoulders and told me that his favourite airplane was there. I asked him which one. He pointed to the Douglas C-47 Skytrain.

As I took a closer inspection of the aircraft, I was surprised I didn't see any guns, cannons, or bomb doors. So I turned to Matthew with a puzzled look. This was when he informed my ignorant mind that it was a transport plane, used to carried troops and ammunition. Now my puzzled look turned into an "are you serious?" look as I thought this can't possibly be his favourite aircraft. Matthew returned the expression with a "you're hopeless" look.

Later I asked Matthew why it was his favourite aircraft and he explained it to me.


A Douglas C-47 Skytrain is a military transport aircraft used extensively in World War II by the Allies.


The C-47 was a vital aircraft as it dropped paratroops into enemy territory, transported troops, hauled cargo and supplies, and evacuated the wounded.


This transport plane could carry up to 5000 pounds of weight.


The rear-fuselage cargo doors could even accomodate jeeps and light trucks.

Sometimes, we foolishly look at outward design: we awe at people with titles of reverence, years of post-secondary education, experience, talent, fame, and positions of power. But many times, when we get to really know some of these people, they are not our favourite. They are selfish, arrogant, insensitive, controlling, demeaning, and manipulative. Instead, our favourite people are the ones who have a humble spirit and a servant-like attitude. They may not be showy or impressive-looking, but they are vital for the goodness of mankind to spread. It is a lowly spirit that gains a person honour, and a person's pride that brings him/her low.

"A man's pride brings him low,
but a man of lowly spirit gains honour."
Proverbs 29:23 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment