Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Do Not Believe, But Test

"I'm going to test to see if this is edible
and good for me to eat."

Recently, on an impulse, I signed up at a church in my neighbourhood for a women's morning Bible study. Unfortunately, my sons later discovered that the the youth and young adult pastor of this church has a very wrong spirit: at a young adult Bible study, this pastor emphatically stated that Jesus was a drunk, and he continually mocked Christians who do not drink alcohol. He also made inappropriate sexual comments about females.

My sons came home repulsed and I felt sick for all the youth and young adults who are under his leadership. I was also disappointed that I wouldn't be able to attend the women's Bible study because of this wrong spirit in the church.

The Bible tells us that we are not to believe every spirit in a person, but test to see if the person's spirit is from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. Note that God doesn't say some, but many.

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, 
but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, 
for many false prophets have gone out into the world."
I John 4:1 (ESV)

Last Sunday night, my sons attended a different young adult Bible study at a different church, where approximately sixty young adults gather each week. I eagerly waited until my sons got home to hear their report.

I don't think I have ever seen them so excited! They must have chatted about it for over an hour. At this church, they said, God's Word is revered, personal Bible study is a must, and Scripture memorization is expected. Many of the young adults stated at the Bible study that they too have come from other churches searching for a place where God's Word is foremost because they have such a fervent desire to grow to spiritual maturity.

Praise God for the leadership of this church and these sixty young adults!

No comments:

Post a Comment