Wednesday, September 19, 2012

It Is Sinful To Refuse To Testify


A few days ago I respectfully emailed the lady leading the women's Bible study to politely let her know that I would not be able to attend and to thank her for inviting me. I anticipated that she would send me a reply out of courtesy acknowledging the email I sent her, and that would be the end of that. I never anticipated that she would phone me about it! After all, I only met her once and we spoke just a few words to each other. We didn't chat or anything.

Well, I was wrong and obviously God wanted me to say more. The lady phoned me a few hours after receiving my email. I was out grocery shopping at the time, so my husband answered the call. He told her when he expected me back and she promised to call again.

When I arrived home and learned that this lady had called, I prayed and asked God to give me the words to speak and the courage to speak the truth. When she phoned again, I spoke softly to her with a sadness in my voice as I explained the situation. The lady responded with concern and thanked me for being honest with her. She told me that she and her husband believe the same as we do and they are now very worried about their daughter who attends this young adult group.

What will be the result of our God-ordained conversation? Only God knows. Maybe a person's life will be saved from the dangers of alcohol. Or maybe a false teacher will be removed from his position of influence. All I know is that God put me in a situation to speak, to gently tell someone the truth, and to warn of false teaching.

The Bible says that if God calls you to tell someone about what you have seen or know, and you refuse for whatever reason, then it is sin. And with any sin, there will be consequences. But with obedience, there is always blessing.

"If you are called to testify
about something you have seen
or that you know about,
it is sinful to refuse to testify,
and you will be punished for your sin."
Leviticus 5:1 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment