Wednesday, October 03, 2012

God Blesses Your Marriage!


The first morning we awoke in Alaska, a hearty warm breakfast was waiting for us downstairs in a elegantly decorated dining room. The table was set with gold-rimmed china and crystal-etched glasses, each glass depicting one of the wildlife in Alaska.

On the wall, there hung an exquisite clock that didn't go unnoticed. Unbeknown to us at the time, this clock would play a certain tune every hour. How many different tunes would the clock play? The owner wasn't sure. It was apparently many. When the hour hand reached eight o'clock that first morning, we heard a delightful surprise: a song began to play. Since my husband was more awake than me, it was he who first recognized the song and whispered in my ear, "Do you know what song that is?"

Finding it still hard to believe I was in Alaska, it took me a few seconds to respond. Then my eyes lit up and a smile broke out on my face. It was our wedding song! "You Light Up My Life." (Unbelievingly, this is the second time God has orchestrated this song to be played for us recently. The first time was a month ago when Brian and I went away for a weekend to celebrate our thirtieth wedding anniversary.)

Do you think maybe God is trying to tell us something? I think so. The Bible says that we should not violate a covenant we have made or alter what our lips have uttered. Marriage is a covenant relationship established by God between a man and a woman. Therefore God is pleased when we are obedient to Him and remain faithful to this covenant, especially in a world where divorce is rampant and marriage is fleeting, obsolete, and distorted.

"I will not violate my covenant
or alter what my lips have uttered."
Psalm 89:34 (NIV)

In His Word, God has set an example to us of how to love and be loved. Love is sacred! It comes from God and is meant to be life-long.

No comments:

Post a Comment