Monday, October 08, 2012

Such Knowledge Is Too Wonderful And Great To Know

In the beginning of the week we spent in Alaska, I eagerly asked the owner of the bed and breakfast if moose ever come into her yard. I told her I prayed to God on Monday to see one, but never did, so I was hoping that maybe I would see one in her yard. She hesitated in answering: "Hmm . . . not likely."

I was again disappointed, but God has His ways and perfect timing. And God revealed that on Wednesday, while we were eating breakfast! To my great delight my husband Brian spotted three moose — a cow and her two calves — out of the kitchen window. The moose were pruning her fruit trees in her backyard.


The moose actually jumped that six foot fence you can see in the background. I didn't know moose can jump that high!

"Yea, that was no sweat!"

The calves eventually got thirsty, took a break from eating foliage and twigs, and drank from the bird bath. It was a convenient height for them, so I am sure they thought it was specially meant for them, not birds.


Remembering what I said earlier in the week about asking God for us to see a moose, the owner of the bed and breakfast turned to me, and said, "Wow! God really answered your prayer!" And indeed He did! because I didn't just see one; I saw three.

Later on that day, Brian and I cycled 22 miles on the famous Tony Knowles Coastal Trail in Anchorage. This trail was named after the seventh Governor of Alaska, Anthony Knowles who served office from 1994 to 2002. It was along this trail that Brian and I spotted twelve more, yes twelve more! moose. Here is a picture of one. I forgot to recharge the battery that morning, so unfortunately my camera's battery died after the first picture. Most of the moose we saw on this trail were only a few feet from us. It was wondrous to see them that close! I almost reached out to pet one!


And if that wasn't enough, as we drove back to the bed and breakfast, we spotted three more moose along the side of the road.

All in all, we saw 18 moose in that one day. After that we never saw any more. The owner of the bed and breakfast was dumbfounded when I told her later how many moose we saw.

I think it is truly amazing that God would answer an insignificant prayer request and do it in such abundance!

The Bible says that God precedes and follows each of us and places His hand of blessing on our heads. Such knowledge is too wonderful and too great for us us to know!

"You both precede and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to know!
Psalm 139:5-6 (NLT)

God always supersedes our expectations!

No comments:

Post a Comment