Sunday, March 16, 2014

Let All That I Am


My favourite flower since I was a little girl is the daffodil. In Victorian times, the daffodil was a symbol of chivalry. Later it became the national flower of Wales.

When I was in Bible College, I remember being so delightfully surprised by a boy who gave me a bouquet of daffodils in the springtime, when most of the girls at the college were given roses or carnations by their suitors. Even though the daffodils were picked from a neighbour's yard with little black bugs crawling on them, I still felt they were prettier than all the other flowers in the women's dorm. However, my roommate thought differently. She didn't like the black bugs because they started to crawl all over our room.

Today daffodils are a symbol of hope. In Spring, I love seeing the daffodils blooming because they are reminder to me that my hope is in God. However, sadly in Edmonton, there are no daffodils to be seen blooming in March. The winters are far too long and the ground still covered in deep snow, so artificial ones on my table will have to do. I still, however, long for the freshly picked ones. They have such a sweet fragrance to them.

"Let all that I am
wait quietly before God,
for my hope is in Him"
Psalm 62:5 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment