Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Be God's Witnesses

My fourth son, Matthew, is the Children's Ministry Administration Assistant at his church. He was asked to dress up for a live-action variant of the board game Clue.

While my third son, Chris, and I were shopping at a local used store for his costume, I was frustrated because we couldn't find a men's jacket of the right colour for Matthew to wear. We were looking for either a green or yellow one. If we found a green one, then Matthew would be Mr. Green. If we found a yellow one, then Matthew would be Col. Mustard. The problem was: what man in his right mind would have either one of these coloured jackets? If a man did have one, he would probably have given it to his dog to sleep on.

Anyways, my son, Chris, was getting impatient, so I prayed and asked God to help me find something in the store that would work for a costume for Matthew. I really didn't want to drive all around the city looking for one. I know with certainty that Chris didn't want to either.

Finally, I gave up, and, with disappointment, we started to leave. As we were about to go out the door, I felt God stop me and say, "Turn around and look again." I gave Chris my keys and told him to wait for me in the car. I went down the women's aisle — yes, the women's aisle — and soon discovered this bright yellow jacket. I knew I would have to modify it some, but it would work. I was thrilled!

As I was happily standing in line to pay for the jacket, (very pleased that God had answered my prayer), a older woman came and stood behind me. She looked at the yellow jacket I had in my hands and said, "That sure is a pretty jacket." I looked back at her and thought, "Yes! Opportunity time!"

I responded by saying, "It's part of a costume for my son who works in children's ministries at a local church."

She asked me how old he was, so I told her. Since the lineup was long, the conversation continued. I was able to express my joy and my son's pleasure in working with children for God. She seemed touched and encouraged. Before I left, she told me, "It sure is nice to hear about a young man who has a heart for children too."

The Bible says we are to be His witnesses everywhere we go. This means in our neighbourhoods, workplaces, shopping malls, grocery stores, and, yes, used stores.

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you;
and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem,
 and in all Judea and Samaria,
and to the ends of the earth."
Acts 1:8

Use every opportunity God gives you to share your love and joy in knowing Him. Don't preach, condemn, or force. Just share.

Here is a picture of Matthew in his costume.


Matthew, with his sense of humour, wanted me to make three Canadian medal of honours to pin to his jacket. I also replaced the original buttons with silver metal ones. Then I bought a red scarf to go around his neck and a black gun belt to go around his shoulder.

Here is a closer picture of his medals that I guess men dream about receiving. No man in history has received more than two medals of honour in the United States. That is why Matthew wanted three. Also, Canada doesn't give medals of honour to soldiers, so I bought white ribbon with Canadian red maple leaves on it instead of American red, white, and blue stripes.


I wonder if the children will notice his medals. The medals actual have the word "honour" on them. They were medals my son was awarded for obtaining high grades in high school. Now they are "medals of honour".

Oh ya, the empty bullets were found by my husband in the woods when he used to be a logging truck driver. He gave them to Matthew when he was a young boy to play with. Matthew is now glad he kept them. He wish he had more though to fill up his gun belt. I guess he can tell the children he used the ones he had to win the medals of honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment