Monday, October 24, 2011

What I Feared


On Saturday, Matthew came shopping with me with a purpose in mind. He had to buy a mouth guard and a cup. (No, not a mug, a cup, for, you know. . . .) They become mandatory in Taekwondo as you progress to the higher levels. As Matthew sheepishly went into the athletics store, he went to look for his items as I pretended to shop.

Within moments, an attractive young lady came up to him and asked if he needed help. I looked at Matthew as he froze in horror. I am proud to say my motherly instinct immediately kicked in, and I came to his rescue. Embarrassing him some more, I spoke up and said, "No it's OK. He has to buy something that's, um, . . . kind of embarrassing." She seemed to understand and walked quietly away.

However, when it came time for Matthew to pay at the till, there was both a young man and the young woman at the counter. I quickly grabbed the cheapest item I could find and went to the young woman to purchase it. Matthew was then free to go to the young man to buy his necessary manly items. This was a grave mistake because the young man wasn't very mature. He started to smirk and you could see he was having a hard time trying not to laugh. I couldn't believe my eyes! Matthew was trying to stay cool, calm, and collect, but this cashier was doing the opposite. Not only that, the cashier wasn't able to regain his composure. I thought, "Is this guy for real?"

Then I became sheepish when Matthew turned to look at me. I realized my previous words of wisdom to him were dead wrong; only moments before, I had said, "Oh, come on, Matthew! You are making a big deal out of nothing. Nobody will care if you have to buy a cup or not."

I am glad to say my more mature son did manage to keep his composure throughout the incident and left the store with his mission completed.

When we got out of the store, he asked me, "Why is that my worst fears always come to pass?" I didn't respond right away, but I am responding now.

Many places in Scripture, God tells us not to fear, but to trust in Him.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God."
John 14:1

The Bible says fear causes negative results.

"What I feared has come upon me; what I dreaded has happened to me."
Job 3:25

And faith produces positive results.

"'Have faith in God', Jesus answered.
'Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain,
"Go, throw yourself into the sea,"
and does not doubt in their heart
but believes that what they say with happen, it will be done for them.
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer,
believe that you have received it,
and it will be yours.'"
Mark 11:22-24

Fear grips your heart and strangles your faith in God. Without faith, you cannot please God. With faith, God is free to move and answer your prayers.

"And without faith it is impossible to please God
because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists
and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him."
Hebrews 11:6

Don't be afraid. Stand firm in your faith that God will answer even your seemingly insignificant prayers, like being able to buy protective gear without any ado.

No comments:

Post a Comment