Wednesday, October 05, 2011

What God Requires

Where there is ocean and sea life, there is usually a multitude of seagulls. I saw them everywhere on the beaches of Prince Edward Island. To view them, they are lovely and divine, but to hear them, they are loud and vocal. Their squawking and harsh wailing isn't exactly musical to one's ear, but there is still something serene and comforting in hearing their noises.


Usually seagulls gather in large groups, but occasionally there is one all by itself.


When I saw this lone seagull, I couldn't help but recollect how many times I had to be alone and separate from my friends (both professing Christians and non-Christians) because I couldn't go against my faith and do what they were doing. I couldn't go with them to the theatre to view a movie with profanity or sexual immorality. I couldn't accept a beer or a glass of wine in case I might encourage an alcoholic brother/sister to drink. I couldn't have relations before I was married because I wouldn't be able to close my eyes, and see the sorrowful hurt in the eyes of my God. I couldn't laugh at a crude or vulgar joke or make lustful comments about the opposite gender.

Many times I have had to be like this seagull, and separate myself from others. However, I was never alone. God was always there. Feeling His blessing upon me and His closeness made it all worth it. God's presence is priceless.

"The Lord has told you what is good,
and this is what He requires of you:
to do what is right, to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with your God."
Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment