Friday, November 04, 2011

I Am A Jealous God

When I go shopping, it disturbs me greatly to see pictures of a popular male teen idol on little girls' pink pyjamas or on pillows to place by young girls' heads at night.

It also troubles me when I go to toy stores and see large bedroom wall posters of a provocatively dressed female teen sensation.

I wonder how a parent would feel if their son or daughter was that teen idol or teen sensation? Wouldn't such a parent be gravely concerned? I know I would.

I wonder how a parent would feel if their son or daughter was one of the many children who are spellbound by the world's latest idol? Wouldn't that worry a parent? It would certainly worry me.

Whenever you see pictures of famous and sexualized people on billboards, transit buses, posters, and clothes, beware that you and your children are not tempted to idolize that person. The dictionary defines "idolize" to mean "regard with blind adoration or devotion".

The Bible says that the only person we are to worship is God because He is the One who created all things. He alone, therefore, is worthy of our passion and reverence. Anyone who sets themselves up to be idolized by others is sinning against God. Anyone who idolizes a person or promotes idol worship of a person is in direct disobedience to the command of God.

"You shall have no other gods before me.
You shall not make for yourself an image
in the form of anything in heaven above
or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
You shall not bow down to them or worship them;
for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God."
Exodus 20:3-5a


God is a jealous God and He commands that you give Him all honour and glory.

If any of us idolizes a person other than God, we will be sorely disappointed. However, if we put our trust in God and give Him our love and adoration, we will never be disillusioned or disheartened.

God loves us like no other! Let's not dishonour Him by taking our eyes off Him and placing them on another.

No comments:

Post a Comment