Sunday, November 20, 2011

Such Sins Have No Place

When my sons were teenagers, I would frequently talk to them about girls and dating. I told them that you can usually tell a woman's spiritual maturity by the way she dresses. My motherly and godly advice to them was simple — stay away from any girl who dresses inappropriately. My response from them was, "OK, Mom, but that omits about 90 percent of them.

The sad truth is my sons are right. This is no exaggeration. Women of all ages attending church are now dressing immodestly. My husband, Brian, says that when it comes time during the worship service to shake the hands of people around us, the males should wear blind folds. He wasn't joking.

My sons have always been turned off from going to youth and young adult groups in churches. They feel convicted within themselves that these are not places God would have them be because of the sexual immorality that is rampant in our churches today. It is pretty sad when Christian men don't feel comfortable going to church functions designated for their age groups because too many of the females are dressed inappropriately.

Paul warned us in the Bible to not get intimately involved with people who profess themselves to be Christians but are sexually immoral; so my sons stay away.

"But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone
who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral."
1 Corinthians 5:11

In the past, it has always shocked me to see female children's pastors, pastor's wives, female worship leaders, and female musicians wearing low-cut tops, sleeveless dresses, mini-skirts, and even fish net stockings with black high heel boots. Now I see it so often, I am no longer shocked, but grieved how Christians today have so little moral standards when it comes to sexual purity.

The Bible says that when a man looks wrongly at a woman, he has sinned against God.

"But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully
has already committed adultery with her in his heart."
Matthew 5:28

However, God will also judge a woman who dresses seductively or to purposely draw attention to her body, even if her dress is the social norm.

"Likewise also that women should adorn themselves
in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control."
1 Timothy 2:9

I'd like to point out that the above Scripture verses are from the New Testament, not the Old. Many people justify sins of lust by saying that today we live in the New Testament era; therefore we are free from the bondage of the out-of-date, non-applicable laws of the Old Testament. I guess these people don't read the Bible.


I have many times heard the excuse that if you are concerned about modest apparel, then you are being legalistic. Obviously these people don't know the meaning of the word legalism because dressing modestly is a moral command of God.

The excuses people come up with to justify sexual sins are pathetic. God has made it very clear that He will not tolerate sexual sins among His people.

"Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you.
Such sins have no place among God's people."
Ephesians 5:3

I can tell you one thing: the blessings that God has bestowed upon my sons are phenomenal because they have chosen to remain sexually pure in our sexually-crazed society.

No comments:

Post a Comment