Thursday, March 15, 2012

Be Earnest And Disciplined In Your Prayers

This morning I have to travel in rush hour traffic in the heart of the city for a yearly eye check-up. I will pray for protection and safety before I put my vehicle into drive. Praying before I travel long distances, in winter road conditions, or in unfamiliar areas, comes instinctively for me.

Not too many years ago, I had to drive my two sons, Daniel and Timothy, to an eye clinic appointment. It was winter and snow had fallen the night before, so when we headed out on the roads the next day, we all bowed our heads while I prayed out loud for our safety.

When I merged onto the highway, and saw the conditions of the roads, I determined that a safe speed to travel would be 60 kilometres/hour. Well, that might have been fine if I had winter tires on, but I didn't. Where we lived before then, it hardly ever snowed, and when it did, the snow melted right away. Therefore all-season tires were sufficient for winter driving. But where we lived then, it snowed just as much and perhaps more than here even.

Anyway, the roads were worse than I thought — they were a single sheet of ice. I soon lost control of my vehicle. As I wavered back and forth on the highway, not applying the breaks, I was unable to gain back control of my vehicle. (My husband told me later I should have gassed the car because it was a front-wheel drive. Believe me that was the last thing on my mind: "Let's go faster!")

As I struggled on the highway for what seemed like an eternity, all the vehicles stayed far behind me, for which I was thankful. Then all of a sudden my car shot out toward the oncoming lanes with a semi-truck coming towards us. We all fixed our terrified eyes on what laid ahead us. This is when God took control. When I hit the level median, God abruptly turned the car to head in the opposite direction, and the car darted across the highway into a snow bank. I missed telephone poles and signs.

The vehicle was stuck, but we were all fine. Two ambulances were called to the scene and a police car arrived later. When we all got out of the vehicle, and stood outside of it, we were shocked at what just happened, and embarrassed at the attention we were getting. Then Daniel turned to me privately and cracked a joke which made us all laugh: "I have a hang nail, shall I tell the paramedics that?"

Then a tow truck happened to be passing by, so he was able to pull my vehicle out of the snow bank, but unfortunately, not before the police came. When the police came, he told me he was going to give me a ticket for travelling too fast for the road conditions. I just about died! I've never had a ticket in my life — I'm certainly not one of those pastors who flagrantly boast about their speeding tickets from the pulpit. I wanted to cry! The police also didn't believe me when I told him I was driving and not one of my teenage sons. But my God intervened on my behalf. When the police came back after checking my driver's record, he told me I could go home. I wonder if he felt sorry for me when he saw my red eyes and flushed cheeks.

I really believe that Satan is working overtime to destroy and kill the Christians of this earth, so it is of the utmost importance for us to be earnest and disciplined in our prayers.

"Then end of the world is coming soon.
Therefore, be earnest and disciplined in your prayers."
1 Peter 4:7 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment