Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Lord Our God Is Truly Our Protector


Tim and I will be checking in and checking out children in church today. The procedure is done through computers, security code stickers, and scanners. I try to be friendly with the parents and their children, but the whole process is cold and anything but friendly. I feel like I am a security guard in a prison camp, as I say, "Next please," to try and lessen the waiting time for the parents standing in line. Gone are the days when children's ministry leaders can just chat freely with the parents without worrying about how much time is passing.

It is sad that this is what the children's ministry in churches have come down to for the safety and protection of our children. Don't get me wrong. I understand the importance of keeping children safe and protected, but something is missing. As I sit there punching computer keys, the Spirit of God inside me feels uneasy. I wonder if God and faith went out the window. What about the importance of prayer amongst the leaders and volunteers before the children arrive? There is no time set aside for such a meeting. Is there too much faith in technology? I know I still see a lot of imperfections in the system, and I see other ways children could get hurt that are more likely than abductions. Prayer is really our only reliable source. Why is it missing?

Even the mighty and fearless warrior, David, prayed to God for safety and protection of himself and his people.

"Lord, you will keep us safe and protect us from such people forever."
Psalm 12:7 (NLT)

We also need to follow David's example and pray earnestly to God for the protection of our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment