Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Beautiful Language!


Sign language is the language of the hearing impaired, and I think it's one of the most beautiful languages there are! Whenever my sons and I lead children's worship, I always teach the children the sign language for the key words of each song. I love being on stage and watching the children sign the words. I find it amazing how quickly children learn the language, and see how the boys are just as eager as the girls to learn.

I usually explain to the children beforehand how it is important for Christians to know this language because it opens the small world of the hearing impaired when more people learn the language. It also opens the doors for us to befriend them and teach them about the love of Christ and salvation. There is a whole mission field out there among the hearing impaired!

I first became interested in sign language in Bible College with one of my girlfriends had a little brother who was hearing impaired. I loved watching the two of them communicate with each other using their hands, and I felt bad that I couldn't understand what they were saying or be able to talk with the boy myself. At the time, I didn't even know how to say "Hi!"

Jesus, Himself, had great compassion for the deaf. Here is one example in Scriptures:

"Jesus left Tyre and went up to Sidon before going back to the Sea of Galilee and the region of the Ten Towns. A deaf man with a speech impediment was brought to Him, and the people begged Jesus to lay His hands on the man to heal Him. Jesus led him away from the crowd so they could be alone. He put His fingers into the man's ears. Then, spitting on His own fingers, He touched the man's tongue. Looking up to Heaven, He sighed and said, 'Ephphatha,' which means, 'Be opened!' Instantly the man could hear perfectly, and his tongue was freed so he could speak plainly! Jesus told the crowd not to tell anyone, but the more He told them not to, the more they spread the news. They were completely amazed and said again and again, 'Everything He does is wonderful. He even makes the deaf to hear and gives speech to those who cannot speak.'"
Mark 7:31-37 (NLT)

I couldn't say it better myself. Everything Jesus does is indeed wonderful! He even makes the deaf hear and gives speech to those who cannot speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment