Monday, June 11, 2012

The Church Of God Is Not A Building, But People

If one desires to reach for Jesus Christ the homeless in the centre of a city, which does one build: another church or a dedicated mission.

Although I have pondered this question for over a week, I haven't been able to rationalize choosing to build another church. If we desire to reach the homeless, then caring for their physical needs should be our first priority. The homeless need a home. They need food. They need protection. They need clothes. They need physical care. They don't need another church building. They need people with the heart of Christ to reach out to them and meet their foremost needs. Then the Gospel of Christ can be shared with them and His power can be used to deliver them from drug, alcohol, and other addictions. Jesus told us to care for the homeless, and the most effective way to do this is to build a dedicated mission where they can live and experience the love of God in a real, practical way.

"For I was hungry, and you fed me.
I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink.
I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home.
I was naked, and you gave me clothing.
I was sick, and you cared for me.
I was in prison, and you visited me."
Matthew 25:34b-36 (NLT)


Today in our Western society, churches are spending far too much money on beautifying, modifying, and amplifying their building. Churches talk about expanding and multiplying their buildings when there are already a multitude of unfilled churches around. The Church itself is not a building. It is a group of people who love God and want to serve Him.

I see too many pastors who want to glorify themselves by the appearance of a building. God is the only One to be glorified, and we elevate God by doing, not by making us or our church look good.

Of the money God gives us, let's serve God by using more of it to do what Jesus asks us to do: to house, to feed, to clothe, and to care for the lost, wandering, and unloved souls in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment