Wednesday, June 27, 2012

We Have The Power Over Sin


Yesterday as I was mowing my lawn in a hurry to beat the oncoming thunder and lightening storm, I severed the electrical cord by running over it with the lawn mower. Fortunately, the breaker in the house blew immediately, so I didn't get electrocuted.

Anyways, I had to run to the hardware store to buy a new cord so I could finish mowing before the storm hit. However, to make sure I didn't run over the cord again, I bought a bright pinkish-orange one that stands out better in the tall grass.

When my husband phoned me from his truck later in the day, I sheepishly told him what I had done. But the lesson I learned from my experience is this: when the lawn mower was connected to an electrical power source, I was able to cut the grass. But once the power supply was cut off, the lawn mower became useless, allowing the grass the freedom to grow wildly.

We are like that too. When we are connected to the power of the life-giving Spirit of God, then God is able to mow over all our sins. But if we are not connected to the power of the life-giving Spirit of God, then our sins will grow wildly, leading to death and destruction.

"And because you belong to Him
the power of the life-giving Spirit
has freed you from the power of sin
that leads to death."
Roman 8:2 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment