Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Lord Longs To Be Gracious To You

My husband Brian came home last night around midnight. Before he went to bed he checked to see if the back door was locked. It's a good thing he did too, because there stood our Sheltie, Barney, with his nose pressed to the glass, eagerly looking through, wagging his tail. Barney was so excited to finally see, after waiting for hours, someone who would open the door and let him in!


Previously, I had asked one of my sons, (I won't mention who because I already embarrassed him yesterday), to let the dogs out before he went to bed. The usually routine is that we always let Barlow, our Yorkie, out first and then Barney. I guess my son forgot to let Barney back in.

When I heard this story I was amazed that Barney never became impatient and barked to wake us up. (Or should I say, to wake up one forgetful person in particular?) Instead, he sat there patiently waiting, understanding and instantly forgiving.

This incident brings to my mind another familiar story Brian recently told me. Not too long ago, a truck driver forgot his Yorkie puppy at a truck stop. By the time the truck driver realized his mistake, it was too late for him to turn around. He had a deadline to make. Three days later, when he was finally able to return to the spot he last saw his pup, he never expected the miracle he was about to see. There was his young dog still sitting there waiting for his master to return! The man's heart was completely won by such a small creature so devoted to him. But that's God to us!

'Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you;
He rises to show you compassion."
Isaiah 30:18a (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment