Saturday, December 17, 2011

Hold To The Traditions

My fondest memories of Christmas as a girl growing up were not of presents, decorations, or food, but the Christmas pageants at my church. The pageants were never complex. Instead, they were rather simple, but they always included a Biblical portrayal of Jesus' birth acted out by me and all the other children who attended Sunday school.

I can't imagine Christmas today without seeing a children's drama of the true Christmas story. You can never get tired of seeing God's Word portrayed, especially when that portrayal is of the birth of a beautiful and loving Saviour. Christmas pageants often include a children's choir, a handful of musical or vocal soloists, a drama with a good message about giving, and a short sermon at the end, but the part that always touches the hearts of people and the heart of a sacrificial God is seeing the precious children of all ages acting out the wondrous story of the birth of God's only Son, Jesus Christ. I know it touches my heart.

Another dear memory of Christmas is when I received from my church a brown paper bag filled with candies, nuts, and a Japanese orange. It wasn't the treats inside that were special, but the feeling I felt after receiving the bag. I felt a part of a family, a larger family, the family of God. I felt loved, appreciated, and secure in God's Kingdom as one of His princesses. Can a unattractive brown paper bag filled with a few treats do that? Yes it can! It is the small things in life that speak volumes. To me the bag was priceless and a symbolic gift from God my Father.

Some people think that Church tradition is bad — that it is out-dated, boring, and useless. I disagree. I think that a tradition can be a comfort and a great pleasure if it brings to mind wonderful memories of the truths of God.

Even in the New Testament, the Bible tells us to stand firm and hold to godly traditions.

"So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught,
whether by word of mouth or by letter from us."
2 Thessalonians 2:15

There are several important traditions in the New Testament that God asks us to uphold. Communion is one which reminds us of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Water baptism is another which gives testimony to others of our commitment to serve God and our desire to walk in all His ways. Marriage is also a sacred tradition which binds a man and a woman in a legal commitment.

Sometimes when Churches desire to be modern, creative, and different from traditions for the sake of popularity in an ever-changing world, the message of Christ gets lost and the world creeps in.

Here is a picture of a special memory of a Christmas pageant that included my Sunday school children to whom I taught the Word of God every week:


The cute, curly red-headed toddler in front is my son, Timothy, playing Baby Jesus. He was sixteen months old at the time. My Sunday school children loved him and thought he was adorable, so they wanted him in the play too. The girl who portrayed Mary was extremely good with him and, of course, Tim enjoyed all the attention of being a star for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment