Thursday, December 01, 2011

Wreath: Symbol of Eternity

Hunter, my cat, climbed into my wreath the other day while I placed the wreath temporarily on my couch until I could find a suction cup hook to hang it on. My son, Daniel, snapped this picture with his iPhone:


Christmas wreaths are one of my favourite holiday decorations. I love seeing wreaths on the front doors of houses and outdoor windows during this wonderful season. Wreaths are a welcoming sight and bring festive joy to the neighbourhood during the day when the outdoor LED Christmas lights are not brightly displayed.

All wreaths, whether they are made of pine cones, evergreen branches, or holly, form a circular ring that has no beginning or end. Thus, a wreath is a symbol of eternity or eternal life.

It is fitting then for wreaths to be a part of this holy celebration of Jesus' birth because through Him we can have eternal life where we will never again be separated from God our Heavenly Father, but  separated completely from the devil and his schemes.

"For God loved the world so much
that He gave His One and only Son,
so that everyone who believes in Him
will not perish, but have eternal life."
John 3:16

Eternal life is a gift from God. It is not by our own merits that we enter eternity with Jesus.

"God saved you by His grace when you believed.
And you can't take credit for this;
it is a gift from God."
Ephesians 2:8

There will never be a gift given to us as great as the one that God gave when He gave us Jesus, to be born on earth as tiny baby in a very lowly setting. Nevertheless, He is a magnificent and powerful King!

My wreath is now hanging on the front door of my house, as a reminder of God greatest gift of love to us — the gift of Jesus Christ and eternity with Him in Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment