Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Don't Just Train For Physical Health, Train Also For Spiritual Godliness

Fitness is important to my sons. Two of them, Matthew and Tim, get up at five (or six if they don't have classes) every morning, even in the freezing cold of winter, and run six kilometres. Matthew and another of my sons, Chris, train twice a week in Taekwon-do. Downstairs, we have a weight room.

This year, I've decided to join in. Matthew has taken on the role of my personal fitness trainer and I think he missed his calling as a sergent in the army. He is brutal! However, I do enjoy the bike machine, and I even enjoy weight lifting. But don't tell him I said that.


The Bible says physical training is good because it benefits us as we live life here on earth. Physical training keeps us healthy and strong, and when we are healthy and strong, we can do more for God.

However, training in godliness is much better because it benefits us both in this life and in the life to come.

"Physical training is good,
but training for godliness is much better,
promising benefits in this life
and in the life to come."
1 Timothy 4:8 (NLT)

It is important to train yourself physically so that you stay healthy, but it is even more important to train yourself spiritually, so you will live a godly life.

No comments:

Post a Comment