Monday, May 07, 2012

Taekwon-Do: A Prerequisite To Ministry?

The day after my sons' Taekwon-Do tournament, they received an email from their senior instructor. He thanked everyone for representing their club so well at the tournament. He stated that he was proud of each and every one of them, and that he hoped they enjoyed the day as much as he did. He repeatedly encouraged people to be free to express to him any concerns or questions about the tournament.

I read that email several times and thought, "Wow, I think I would like to join this society, buy a dobok, and learn Taekwon-Do, just so I can be part of this wonderful group of people."


I'm not going to lie. I've lived in Alberta three years. My sons and I have volunteered in children's ministries for several churches, but since we've moved here, I've yet to feel part of a church family.

The church for which we volunteer now recently held an after-church, volunteer appreciation banquet. My sons and I were overlooked and therefore not invited. Instead, the pastor in charge was elated when he found out we weren't going and asked my family if we would help provide childcare for the volunteer parents who were attending. We had lots of fun and even my husband, who, having just come home from working all week, helped out so he could be with his family. But still, it would have been nice to have been invited.

Also, when my sons and I volunteered to do the children's worship for a spring retreat, we were never sent an email of thanks. Instead, one of my sons was informed about a complaint: that I need to sing into the microphone so my voice could be heard as well as Tim's. No thanks or compliments preceded or followed the complaint.

I think maybe the churches should observe or join Taekwon-Do to learn by example how to treat others. Not only that, but many times from the pulpit I hear this comment from the pastor: "Don't send me any emails of complaints. I don't want to hear them." Maybe Bible College isn't enough to train men and women to be pastors. Maybe people who want to be pastors should join Taekwon-Do first to learn to respect and appreciate others, as well as to have a willing heart to hear people's concerns.

"Don't be selfish;
don't try to impress others.
Be humble,
thinking of others as better than yourselves."
Philippians 2:3 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment