Friday, January 04, 2013

Be Careful Not To Forget

The ski lodge that Brian and I drove up the mountain to visit offered not only snowmobiling but also sleigh rides.


However, Brian and I chose not to go on any of the sleigh rides; we instead opted for speed.


But at the end of the second day of snowmobiling, I was able to catch sight of the two teams of horses and sleighs. They were parked just outside the lodge. It was such a nostalgic sight, I couldn't help but take a picture of them and ponder the days-gone-by of my grandparents and parents. I still vividly remember my grandparents, whom I knew and loved so well. Even though all four of them have now passed away, they still remain in my heart.


My dad was raised with two brothers and one sister on a farm in Warburg. My mom was raised with six sisters on a farm in Millet. Both farms are less than hour away from where I live now in Alberta.

My parents have given me some of their favourite childhood pictures, and in my collection I have a picture of my teenage mom sitting beside her mother — my grandmother — as she guided their sleigh pulled by their horses. They were going to town, which my mom loved to do, so she could shop and meet people. She told me that it was a highlight for her and a special event every time she was able to go. But she had to finish all her chores first! If she didn't finish them in time, she couldn't go. This was a lesson well learned because my mother was always a hard worker, a fantastic cook, and an exceptional housekeeper.

We need to be careful not to let all the wonderful memories and valuable lessons we have learned from our parents and grandparents be forgotten. As long as we live, we need to watch that those memories do not escape our minds, so we can pass them on to our children and grandchildren.

"But watch out!
Be careful never to forget
what you yourself have seen.
Do not let these memories
escape from your mind
as long as you live!
And be sure to pass them on
to your children and grandchildren."
Deuteronomy 4:9 (NLT)

When I got closer to take a picture of those beautiful sleigh horses, one of the horses turned around and looked directly at me. I was glad I ignored the posted warning sign to not to get too close to the animals, as well as my husband's voice of reason, because this picture turned out to be my most favourite one of all! Okay, I know what you are thinking. Yes, I did sweetly ask permission of the owner, an older gentleman, first.

No comments:

Post a Comment