Friday, January 11, 2013

God Hears The Groans Of The Poor And He Will Rescue Them

A week before Christmas, I asked God to open the door for Brian and I to give directly to the needy. I didn't think at the time that God would take me so literally, because a few hours later, a knock came to my door. When I opened it, one of my friends stood there with a beaming smile, wished me a Merry Christmas, and lovingly gave me a present in a beautiful gift bag. As my friend handed the gift to me, she told me that she had also placed a card inside that explained a missionary project in Kenya. My eyes must have widened as I thought to myself, "This must be the answer to my prayer!"


The present inside was a wheat bag that you heat up in the microwave and use for comfort. I use it all the time since I have gotten it because my heating pad recently broke. I like the feel of warmth, especially in winter when Edmonton can be so cold. The wheat bag was made by someone in her church who sells them to support a desperate need in Kenya to rescue babies and orphans being thrown away in a 30-acre city dump. The card inside described this missionary outreach.

Once I read the card, I prayed to God for guidance, checked the website, and excitedly phoned the contact number. When I talked with the lady on the other end, I felt led of God to ask to sponsor a sibling group. However, she told me there were none at the time. I was immediately disappointed and questioned whether I heard from the Lord. However, she told me that she would contact the missionary down there and let them know of my desire. There were many babies, toddlers and young children abandoned and in desperate need, but no sibling group at this time. I almost said, "Don't worry about it then. I will foster two of the non-sibling children." But I didn't. I stopped. I decided to trust God.

Yesterday, I got a call from this missionary organization and was told that there is a sibling group in desperate need of sponsorship: an eight-year-old boy who has never gone to school, and his four-year-old sister. God heard and answered the cry of a young, desperate mother desiring a better life for her two children. These children have no father. They have no shoes on their feet. Their clothes are worn, they live in the slums in a leaky shack, and they go every day to the garbage dump with their mother to collect garbage bags to clean and sell for a penny each in order to survive. I had to hold back my tears as I was told of their situation and need.

You see, God sees the violence done to the helpless. He hears the groans of the poor, and He is rising up to rescue them as they have longed for Him to do.

"The Lord replies,
'I have seen violence done to the helpless,
and I have heard the groans of the poor.
Now I will rise up to rescue them,
as they have longed for me to do.'"
Psalm 12:5 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment