Friday, September 20, 2013

Godliness With Contentment Is Great Gain

Brian and I toured the Old Trail Town in Cody, Wyoming. Old Trail Town depicts the lifestyle and history of the Frontier West.


All the old buildings on the site were carefully disassembled, moved, and reassembled from remote locations in both the states of Montana and Wyoming. Two of the cabins were the original homes to famous outlaws: one by Butch Cassidy and the other one by the Sundance Kid. (I personally thought those cabins should have been destroyed.)


However, I still enjoyed thoroughly viewing a vast and rare collection of authentic structures and furnishings.


My favourite building with all the furnishings was the school house.


There were thousands of historic artifacts on display at Old Trail Town.


When I slowly walked through the town and viewed inside all the buildings, it felt like I stepped back in time.


Life was so much simpler then.


This is my favourite picture, as I looked across and down the town's street from one of the building's verandas.


Old Trail Town made me wonder if our society today has become too rich, because if we desire too much, we easily fall into temptation and a trap with our foolish and harmful desires, plunging ourselves into ruin and destruction.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into the world,
and we can take nothing out of it.
But if we have food and clothing,
we will be content with that.
Those who want to get rich
fall into temptation and a trap
and into many foolish and harmful desires
that plunge people into ruin and destruction."
1 Timothy 6:6-9 (NIV)

The material riches of this world are not great gain, but godliness with contentment is.

No comments:

Post a Comment