Saturday, September 28, 2013

"Let's Go Out For Coffee"

"No, I don't think so."

Since moving to Alberta, I have had several ladies from churches ask me to go out for coffee with them. Every single time, I falsely thought it was because they wanted to be friends, and I was excited at the prospect of making new ones. However, that was not their intent. One lady wanted to sell me her health products, one wanted to speak about herself for several hours, one wanted me to do them favours, one wanted to complain about the church and its leaders, and one wanted to critique my ministry. Now when a Christian person asks me out for coffee, my stomach churns! Do Christian people think that other Christians, especially those in ministry, do not need friends? Do they think we are inhuman and void of all feelings and emotions? Do they think we do not need encouragement and support? Do they not read the Scriptures?

"Therefore encourage one another
and build each other up."
1 Thessalonians 5:11 (NIV)

"Be devoted to one another in love.
Honour one another above yourselves."
Romans 12:10

"Be kind and compassionate to one another."
Ephesians 4:32 (NIV)

The Bible says that Christians are to encourage one another, build each other up, be devoted to one another in love, honour one another above oneself, and be kind and compassionate to one another. Church ministry fails when we do not have this attitude, because the new-comers run out the door to never look back, and the leaders become discouraged and give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment