Saturday, December 07, 2013

Unexpectedly Received, But Given Without Expectations

My son Matthew and I went Christmas shopping a few days ago and on the way home, we spotted a Value Village store, so we stopped to browse inside. As I was looking around, my eyes spotted this Christmas train set for only twelve dollars. It was a bit dilapidated because some of the zip ties were missing. It also wasn't plugged in, so I asked the cashier if it worked. She didn't know, but told me I could plug it into one of their sockets to find out. To my delight, it worked perfectly! Even the smoke stack goes off and on. I call this train a present from the Lord


The most treasured gifts usually cost the least amount, like a home-made card from a child, picked wild or garden flowers, a warm hug, a listening ear, and a plate of baked goodies. Why? Because they stem from God's heart. They are good and perfect. They are unexpectedly received, but given without expectations.

"Every good and perfect gift
is from above,
coming down from the Father
of the heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows."
James 1:17 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment