Friday, December 06, 2013

Stubbornness Of Heart

Recently, the temperatures in Edmonton have dropped to -30 degrees Celsius, so my Yorkshire Terrier doesn't want to go outside. If I give him a gentle shove out, he will quickly go to the bathroom, but then he stays put, shivering in the cold. He won't come back into the house even when I call him. I have to put on my coat and shoes to go get him. For the life of me, I haven't been able to figure the dog's reasoning. It is like he is telling me, "You forced me to go outside in freezing temperatures, so now I am going to let you watch me die."


Feeling sorry for my dog Barlow, my son Matthew and I went shopping today to buy him a sweater to keep him warm. I was going to buy Barlow a plain coloured one, but Matthew who loves to dress stylishly talked me into buying him an argyle sweater instead. Then when my son Tim came home from university, Barlow ran to the front door to greet him by prancing around showing off his new garment. Barlow loves his sweater, but he still doesn't want to go outside or come back in. He reminds me of the people of Israel. Many times they wouldn't listen to God's voice, even though He lovingly provided everything for them. So, God finally gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart, to walk in their own devices. Hmm, that's a thought. No, I can't do it. I guess I'll let the dog have its way---for now.

"But My people did not listen to My voice,
and Israel did not obey Me.
'So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart,
To walk in their own device.'
Psalm 81:11-12 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment