Thursday, September 08, 2011

I Loved My Grandfather!

My grandfather on my dad's side lived to be almost 100 years old. When he was a young boy his family immigrated to Canada from United States and bought a homestead close to the area in which I now live. When he married, he took over the farm and raised three sons and a daughter. My father was the second oldest.

I loved my grandfather dearly! As a girl growing up, he was the one man I felt love from. I would get so excited when he would come once a year to visit our family. Every time he came, he gave my twin brother and me a large bag of pennies that he saved up during the year. My brother and I loved counting all those pennies! Sometimes, my grandfather gave each of us a chocolate bar as well, but the gifts were not the reason why I loved him. I loved him because he was always happy and pleasant to be around, even though he had been widowed twice and outlived two of his children. My grandfather was always kind, thoughtful, and loving, and nice to my mother. When he visited, there was joy in the house.

I remember the last time my grandfather visited us. It was when I a young adult and home for the weekend from Bible College. I was feeling depressed at the time. I was in a hurtful relationship that caused me to feel confused and insecure, always striving to please. My primary relationships at home were the same. I wondered at the time if ever a relationship could be different for me. However, when I was once again in my grandfather's presence, I didn't feel inadequate. I felt loved! I felt special! By the time my grandfather left, I had the self-worth to do what I needed to do and end the distressing relationship. God used my grandfather's love to stop the cycle I was in and proceed forward on the path God had intended for me.

On my wedding day, when everyone clinked their tea cups the second time for my husband Brian and I to display our affection publicly, I went over to my grandfather, gave him a great big kiss, and told him I loved him.

Many times God uses other people to show His love to us! It wasn't coincidence that my grandfather came to visit my family at the time I so desperately needed to be reminded of his love. I believe my grandfather lived a long life because of his positive attitude and desire to enjoy every day. He never ended up in a nursing home. Up until my grandfather was 98 years old, he lived a simple life in a small house on a small acreage with a large vegetable and berry garden that he devotedly tended every year. He drove his car until 98 years old as well, so he could chat daily with people at the local coffee shop and deliver meals-on-wheels to the elderly that were in need and couldn't get around anymore. At 98, my grandfather decided to sell his house, give his car to my mom, and move into a condo in Edmonton. Two months before his hundredth birthday, he died in his sleep.

My grandfather was such an inspiration to every one who knew him and will forever be cherished by his granddaughter.

"Even in old age they will still produce fruit; they will remain vital and green."
Psalm 92:14

Grandparents, don't underestimate your value and worth to your grandchildren and to all those around you. No matter what your age, you can have a major influence on each person with whom you come in contact.

Here is a picture of my grandfather on my wedding day. He is on the right. Brian's grandparents are on the left.


The picture below shows the last time I saw my grandfather. We went to visit him at his home on his small acreage. I thought it was so cute he got dressed up for us. He is holding Daniel, my first-born child. My grandfather was thrilled that Daniel had red hair just like he did when he was young.


If I take after anybody in the family, I hope I take after him.

No comments:

Post a Comment