Monday, September 26, 2011

Love Is Patient

I am not a very patient person. It is a weakness in my character with which I struggle.

For instance, my husband, Brian, needs to drink one or two cups of coffee every morning before he can even function. I, on the other hand, hate the taste of coffee. I am rearing to go first thing in the morning. While we were in Prince Edward Island, I made myself sit in a chair every morning, instead of pacing the floor, waiting patiently, or shall I say impatiently, for Brian to drink his cup or two of coffee. It almost drove me crazy. I would say to myself, without Brian hearing my ungodly thoughts: "Let's go!" "Can't you drink that any faster?" Why do you have to drink that stuff anyways?"

Brain took a picture of me because he knew what I was thinking. I don't have to say anything. He knows me all too well. I think he was enjoying making me wait and seeing me squirm.


There are many Scripture verses that talk about patience being a virtue of God. Here are a few:

"Love is patient"
1 Corinthians 13:4

"Be completely humble and gentle;
be patient, bearing with one another in love."
Ephesians 4:2

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
(There's that word again!)
Colossians 3:12

God wants His children to be patient — patient for answers to prayer, patient for our spiritual growth, patient for the spiritual maturity of others, patient for revival in our land, patient for the second coming of Christ, and patient for your mate to drink his cup of coffee in the morning. It isn't always easy, especially if you are like me, but it is the will of God. God is patient. He must be when He sees me being impatient and doesn't throw in the towel.

My husband finds it funny and smiles. He was patient when I wanted to run out the door to do, see, and experience. It took all my will-power just to sit in that chair each morning. My husband knew it, so he got out the camera and took a picture.

I'm learning! I really am! I am even smiled for the the picture, but it sure is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment