Friday, September 02, 2011

This Is My Father's World

My favourite hymn since I was very young is, "This Is My Father's World." It was the song I chose to sing in front of the students in Bible College for my Voice Techniques Class. I was so nervous that I couldn't reach the high note with clarity and giggled. How are you suppose to not get nervous when you are being graded for your voice? I viewed it as not being much different than women parading on stage in a bikini in a beauty contest. It is so much easier leading worship for God. Then your focus in on Him and not yourself. When I giggled, my teacher gave me a stern look. I managed to regain my composure and continue singing. I got a B+ because of that giggle. The experience did give me more sensitivity and humility in teaching children to sing and play the piano.

In case you don't know this hymn well, the lyrics are as follows. They're beautiful!

This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world;
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world,
The birds their carols raise,
The morning light, the lily white,
Declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world;
He shines in all that's fair;
In the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.

I still love this song despite my nightmarish experience singing it.

Every time I go for a walk in God's creation, I can't help but think of Him. It is when He speaks to me the most.

I came across this cute little caterpillar traveling across my path on the walk and marvelled at God's creativeness!


Did you know that a typical caterpillar has 4000 muscles? They're mainly used for eating — they eat constantly. In comparison, humans have only 629 muscles, but we don't eat constantly. Well, hopefully we don't.

Caterpillars can also have up to two million hairs. The one I took a picture of is quite hairy, so this fact doesn't surprise me.

When we look all around us, we cannot help but proclaim, "This is my Father's world!" God's handiwork is revealed everywhere. We can sense God when we hear the birds and the crickets sing, view the majestic mountains and trees, look upward to see the endless skies, wonder at the ceaseless oscillations of oceans, and marvel at the birth of a child. Everything declares their Maker's praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment