Saturday, February 25, 2012

Every Good and Perfect Gift

Well, praise God! the osteoplasty surgery went very well.

One year ago, I looked on the internet for a good dentist because I knew I needed some cleaning work on my teeth. I chose my current dentist because his website states that he is a Christian and his office is close by in the town where I live in. I didn't choose him because he happens to specialize in cosmetic surgery. To be honest, that part bothered me. The website showed pictures of people who spent thousands of dollars on their teeth to perfect their smiles, and yet I thought their smiles looked fine in the first place. At least they didn't have half gums half teeth!

On my first appointment to the dentist, one of the questions he asked me was: "What do you think of your smile?" No dentist ever asked me that question before, so I hesitated, thought briefly, and responded Christian-like by saying, "Neutral." I didn't want to say anything negative because I thought it would sound vain, and Brian's dental plan at the time had a $3500 limit, so that was the first word that came to mind. However, God knew what was truly in my heart because He orchestrated everything so that I would be able to have the osteoplasty surgery for almost free to correct my gummy smile. God is so good because every good and perfect gift comes from God our Father!

"Every good and perfect gift is from above,
coming down from the Father of the Heavenly lights,
who does not change like shifting shadows."
James 1:17 (NIV)

Ever since I was a young girl, I've always been embarrassed by my smile. My mother was the first one to point out to me how much of a shame it is that my smile shows more gum than teeth. I didn't know what she meant until I ran to the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. My mother always had beautiful, perfectly-sized teeth, whereas I had unnaturally small ones — at least, that is what I always believed. However, a year ago, my dentist told me that my teeth aren't the problem; my gums are the culprit because they cover too much of my teeth, and the situation is completely correctable through surgery.

Even though the surgery cost $3000, ninety precent of it is covered under my husband's new unlimited dental plan. (He changed jobs five months ago.) My osteoplasty surgery is truly a gift from God because I would have never had it done otherwise.

God is so good! He even cares about a little girl's insecurity over a gummy smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment