Friday, February 24, 2012

What Can Mere Mortals Do To Me


This morning I am going to my dentist to have osteoplasty surgery. In dentistry terms, osteoplasty surgery is a "surgical resection of bony structures to form or correct the contour of the gums." In English, I'm having my gums cut.

The procedure will take about one and a half hours. My dentist, who specializes in cosmetic dentistry, recommended the surgery, and my husband's awesome, unlimited dental plan covers 90% of the cost, so I thought, "Why not?"

My son Matthew, however, says I shouldn't have the surgery because he is afraid I will come out looking like a particular movie star he remembers from a certain DVD. For the life of me, I can't remember anything about that actress's teeth. And I don't plan on watching the movie to refresh my memory either, or else I will chicken out.

To tell the truth, I am rather nervous because my dentist never explained to me how exactly the procedure is done and what to expect. I am imagining blood and pain, so I've been praying considerably about it, and I constantly quote to myself this Bible verse to ease my worries.

 "I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
What can mere mortals [dentists] do to me?"
Psalm 56:4b (NLT)

Yesterday, Tim and Matthew had a cleaning appointment with the same dentist. It was their first visit to his office. I had to chuckle to myself because the work the dentist wants to do on Matthew's teeth requires four more appointments. I think our dentist is taking full advantage of Brian's dental plan, because on the other hand, Tim only needs one more appointment. Incidentally, Tim is under a different dental plan from the U of A with a limit of only $500; the rest he has to cover himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment